Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Sleep Apnea

My bariatric doctor, Dr. Boyce, requires that patients who are not currently on cpap machines to have a sleep study. It was a take home sleep study and the easiest I have ever had.

Before my first surgery I had severe sleep apnea. Those who use cpap have a love hate relationship with it. It is annoying, cumbersome, and awkward. It also provides quality sleep and basically saves your life regularly. I used it like I was supposed to.

As I lost weight the need for the cpap decreased. about two years after my first surgery I had another sleep study. You can imagine how overjoyed I was that my apnea had resolved and I didn't need the cpap any more.

Now the converse has happened. I gained weight and the home study indicated that I, once again, have severe sleep apnea. I stopped breathing 55 times in an hour and my oxygen saturation levels were dangerously low throughout the night. No wonder I am always tired, have trouble focusing, and lack motivation during  the day...I am sleep deprived.

I got my new cpap machine yesterday. It has a lot more bells and whistles than the last one did. It auto adjusts the pressure I need and wirelessly sends my data to my doctor so that adjustments can be made as needed (and so that they can measure my compliance for insurance purposes).

I slept with it for the first time last night. It is going to take some getting used to for sure. I am usually a stomach sleeper...not possible with a cpap.

I'll hang in there. It is the right thing to do in preparation for surgery and for daily health.

No comments: